Bob Rebello’s Worldwide Marathons
On February 27th, 1999, my brother John Rebello passed away after a five year long battle with Kidney Cancer. Thanks to the expertise of the staff at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, John was able to live four extra years. During those years, I stayed by his side and accompanied him to his chemotherapy sessions. I got to see first hand what Kidney Cancer can do to a person, and how there was still no absolute known cause or cure for it.
In May 1999, after John passed, I set out on a mission to raise awareness for Kidney Cancer to honor my brother. I myself was overweight, pre-diabetic, and had never run a marathon in my life, but I set out to run a marathon on every continent and raise $100,000 for Kidney Cancer Research. 14 years later, I have met my goal to run a marathon on every continent, but I am still $7,500 short of my financial commitment to my charity.
Please read through my commitments below, my marathon stories and the journey I’ve taken over the past 14 years, and if you can, help me to meet my goal of raising $100,000 towards finding better treatments and hopefully a cure for Kidney Cancer.
100% of your donations go directly to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and all fees and expenses are personally paid by me, as they have been for 14 years. DONATE
Bob Rebello’s 14-Year Commitments Status
- In Progress: Raise $100,000 for Kidney Cancer Research
- 100% of all donations go directly to the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Biologic Therapy Research Program overseen by Dr. David McDermott at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
- No fees are taken for processing donations
- All of the expenses for my charity come out of pocket to ensure all funds go directly to the Kidney Cancer Research Program
- Complete: Finished 19 marathons in 14 different countries in 14 years and on all 7 continents.
- Complete: Brought awareness about kidney cancer to over 100 countries and 50 U.S. States.
- Still missing donations from the following 14 states!
- AL, AR, ID, IN, LA, MS, MT, NV, OK, TN, TX, VT, WV, & WY
- In Progress: Run 24,901.5 training and race miles (circumference of the Earth).
- I have run a total of 24,792 as of Sunday 12/23, which leaves 109.5 more miles to go by 12/31/12.